The Commonwealth of Virginia is scheduled to adopt the “2015 Editions of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Codes (International Codes). With the adoption of the new codes, the Commonwealth of Virginia has mandated that the inspectors, plans examiner and building official attend training regarding these changes. (Some original training dates were cancelled due to Hurricane Florence.
The training will impact the inspection and plan review process for three (3) days therefore, please plan accordingly.
November 14 - one building inspector, one plumbing/mechanical inspector and the two plans examiners will not be available;
November 15 - one electrical inspector, one plumbing/mechanical inspector and on plans examiner will not be available;
November 16 - one electrical inspector, one plumbing/mechanical inspector, two plans examiners and building official will not be available.
The Division of Building Regulation is responsible for monitoring all types of building construction in the county to ensure that it meets minimum code requirements and the expectations of occupants for structural integrity, workmanship and safety.
The Division of Building Regulation objectives are:
- To conduct inspections on all buildings under construction and buildings hazardous to the public within the jurisdiction.
- To coordinate and consult with Public Safety Officials, Health Department and State Building Code Officials.
- To coordinate with Virginia Power and Virginia Natural Gas on all power and gas installations.
- To enforce the County building regulations and related codes.
- To prepare monthly and yearly reports on all building activities.
- To provide assistance to other departments, agencies and commissions.
- To provide comments and code requirements to builders, developers and citizens of the County.
- To provide expert testimony for litigation.
- To provide guidance and administrative support to the Building Code Appeals Board.
- To receive and review residential and commercial building plans for structural, plumbing, mechanical and electrical requirements.
- To receive fees and process receipts from permit activities.