Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Housing Choice Voucher Program?

The program, formerly known as “Section 8”, is a federally funded program that assists eligible participants with their rent. Eligibility is determined by several factors but include individuals and families with extremely and very low income.

How can I apply for the Housing Choice Voucher Program/Section 8?

New participants in the program are selected from the waiting list based on their eligibility and when they applied. The waiting list for the Housing Choice Voucher Program must be open before new applications can be accepted. At this time the waiting list is CLOSED.

How will I know if my name comes to the top of the waiting list for a Voucher?

When your name comes to the top of the list we will notify you by mail. All applicants for the Housing Choice Voucher Program are encouraged to always maintain their current and accurate address while on the list. If your address changes you MUST notify our office in writing. Verbal changes of address will not be taken.

What if I already have a Voucher and I want to move to York County?

If you already have a Housing Choice Voucher you may use “portability” to move your voucher from your locality to either York County or the City of Poquoson. Contact the housing office who administers your voucher and they will assist you in this process.

Who do I contact if I need housing assistance?

For assistance with housing or housing related emergencies you may call the Housing Crisis Hotline at (757) 587-4202.