Can I operate a business in my home?

As a general rule, home occupations that do not have customer or client contact on the premises are permitted by right . Home occupations that involve on-premises customer or client contact usually require a Special Use Permit from the Board of Supervisors. There are exceptions - including photography studios, day care for up to 4 children, and tutoring or music lessons for up to 4 persons - all of which are permitted as a matter of right in the RC, RR, R33, R20, and R13 zoning districts.

Other home occupations that require a Special Use Permit include those that have non-resident employees or generate a parking demand for at least 3 parking spaces. Small contracting businesses in the RC, RR, or WCI zoning district also require a Special Use Permit. Prohibited home occupations include auto repair and servicing, funeral homes, gift shops, medical or dental clinics and restaurants. For a list of permissible and prohibited home occupations, see sections 24.1-282, 24.1-283, and 24.1-284 of the York County Zoning Ordinance. Use the York County Property Information System to determine the zoning designation for a specific address.

Show All Answers

1. Thinking about renting out your house, an accessory structure, or one or more rooms in your house on a short-term basis (i.e., fewer than 90 days), here are some things you need to know:
2. I want to get involved with the Comprehensive Plan process. How do I do that?
3. Where is the Planning Division office located?
4. What is the population of York County?
5. What is the Planning Commission?
6. What can I do with my land?
7. What is the Comprehensive Plan?
8. Can I have a garage apartment or accessory dwelling unit on my property?
9. Can I operate a business in my home?
10. Where can I find out about applications coming before the Planning Commission?
11. On what does the Planning Commission base its recommendation?
12. When and where does the Planning Commission meet?
13. How can I make my opinions known to the Planning Commission?
14. Does the Planning Commission accept petitions?