The Animal Services Bureau is a function of the York County Department of Fire and Life Safety and is overseen by the Prevention and Community Safety Division. York County Animal Control Officers work in conjunction with our citizens, businesses, and visitors to educate and protect health, welfare, and life safety, while enhancing the quality of life for both our human customers and animals/wildlife in the County. It does this by enforcing the protection laws and ordinances of the Commonwealth of Virginia and York County Animal Control.
Animal Control Officers are required to respond to domestic animal related incidents. Additionally, depending on the circumstances, and even though the Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources is responsible for wild animal situations, Animal Control Officers may respond to wildlife incidents only when the animal is reported to be sick, injured, or when there is a question of immediate safety for citizens.
- Respond to requests to control domestic, wild, and companion animals posing a direct threat to the health, safety and welfare of County residents and visitors.
- Promote the humane treatment of animals, and the prevention of cruelty and harassment.
- Check and verify current animal licenses and rabies certificates.
- Conduct investigations and issue summons or warrants, when applicable, for violations of state and local animal control laws and ordinances.
- Collect unlicensed, stray, ill, injured, or dangerous animals and take appropriate action which may involve transporting them to a humane shelter or veterinarian, as appropriate.
- Educate the public on the health/welfare, life safety of the public and animals, obligations of animal ownership, and other issues involving animals.
Helpful Tidbits from Animal Services
- Where can I purchase a dog license?
- Are cats required to be licensed?
- What if I or someone I know are missing a pet?
- Does the Animal Service Bureau take care of spiders, mice, lizards, or flying and buzzing insect pests?
- What do I do if I find a dead animal?
- What do I do if I am bitten by an animal?
- What do I do it my pet bites someone?