The Utility Division is responsible for the design, inspections, operations and maintenance of its sanitary sewer system assets that encompass approximately 106 square miles of services area with approximately 24,000 customer accounts. System assets include the following:
- 240 miles (approximately 1,267,000 l.f.) of 6- to 24-inch diameter gravity sanitary sewer and approximately 6,600 manholes
- 42 miles (approximately 221,000 l.f.) of force main
- 74 County owned and maintained pump stations
- 9 vacuum station service areas with 77 miles of vacuum sewer piping ranging in size from 4 inches to 10 inches in diameter
Each year Utilities performs approximately five million dollars worth of projects to extend sanitary sewer and public water. Funding for these projects is generated from a portion of the County meals tax and through the collection of connection fees.
Standards and Specifications
For more information or specific documents, please contact the Public Works department at 757-890-3750.
Sanitary Sewer Details (Large PDF document)
Strategic Capital Plan
Tabb Pressure Reducing Station and Offline Storage Facility
HRSD PRELIMINARY Engineering Report *
* The final design solution could vary significantly from what is shown.