Funded by the York County Economic Development Authority (EDA), the Home-based Business Grant Program’s purpose is to encourage the growth and success of small home-based businesses located in York County by assisting them in the transition to a commercial location.
Programs goals are:
• To retain & grow local York County businesses
• To encourage entrepreneurship
• To increase the commercial tax base in York County
• To provide new job opportunities for local residents
• To establish & maintain relationships with the Home Based Business sector of our business community
The EDA has appropriated $25,000 in available matching grant funds for this program. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and grant funds will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, as long as funds remain available. Applications will be evaluated by an independent committee based on the following criteria: length of time business has been operating, length of time business has been located in York County, current number of employees, projected number of employees within two years, current revenue, projected revenue within two years, and proposed use of the grant funds.
Grant funds, up to a maximum of $2,000 per business, are for the purpose of assisting with transition expenses and can be awarded for the following uses: Purchase of supplies, equipment, or inventory, down-payments towards the lease or purchase of a commercial location, renovations or minor repairs to a new commercial location, utility connection fees, and/or advertising & marketing. Normal operating expenses, such as rent, utilities, payroll, taxes, etc. are not allowable expenses. Full justification of how grant funds will be used and proof that they were utilized as described is required.
Grants will only be awarded for work, items, and/or projects performed or received after approval of the application, unless otherwise approved by the Economic Development Director. All projects must be completed within 6 months of approval. Funds will be awarded to the applicant only upon satisfactory completion of the project(s) in accordance with the approved application, and the relocation of the business to a commercially-zoned location in the County in accordance with the grant guidelines set out below. Applicant must submit copies of all paid invoices/receipts and copies of all required permits and approvals.
Program information and grant applications are available at the York County Office of Economic Development (OED), located at 224 Ballard Street in Historic Yorktown, or online here.
• Applicant must possess a current York County Business License that has been active for at least 1 year, unless otherwise approved by the Economic Development Director.
• Applicant must currently be a home-based business located in York County looking to transition to a commercial-based location in York County, and must purchase, lease, or sublease commercially zoned property in York County within 6 months of signing the grant agreement.
• Only one application is permitted per business.
• Non-profit agencies may not apply.
• Grant recipients that relocate out of York County within two years of receiving grant funds must repay 50% of the total grant awarded.
• Grant recipients must agree to a short follow-up interview by OED staff 6-12 months after grant funds were received. This is to help staff determine the success of the program and any suggestions for improvement.
• Application must be made using the Application Form developed by York County OED, and must be complete in all respects.
Program information and grant applications are available at the York County Office of Economic Development (OED), located at 224 Ballard Street in Historic Yorktown, or online here. Completed applications can be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax to (757) 890-6670, or by mail to PO Box 612, Yorktown, VA 23690.