For Commendations, please write a detailed letter explaining the specific action or actions of the Deputy which merit the Letter of Commendation. Your letter will be forwarded to the Sheriff.
1. If you wish to make a complaint about the actions of an employee or about any aspect of law-enforcement operations, please:
a. Come to the York-Poquoson Sheriff’s Office, 301 Goodwin Neck Road, Yorktown, Va. 23692, and tell any employee that you want to make a complaint; or
b. Call the York -Poquoson Sheriff’s Office @ (757) 890-3630 and tell the person answering the phone that you want to make a complaint; or
c. Write to: York-Poquoson Sheriff’s Office, P. O. Box 99, Yorktown, Va. 23690 and request that a complaint form be mailed to you. You must complete the form and either deliver it to the Sheriff’s Office or mail it back to the address listed immediately above.
2. A supervisor will assist you in filling out a complaint form, if requested. This form requires you to identify yourself and then to give specific details about your complaint.
3. Your complaint will then be investigated. You may be contacted and asked additional questions about your complaint.
4. If it is going to take a long time to investigate your complaint, you will receive a letter telling you approximately when you may expect a reply.
5. When your complaint has been investigated, the Sheriff or his designee will review the investigation and will make appropriate contact to explain what has been found out about the matter.
ANYONE DETERMINED TO HAVE FILLED A FALSE REPORT MAY BE CRIMINALLY CHARGED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW OR FOUND LIABLE FOR CIVIL DAMAGES.