Background Color:
Background Pattern:
Saturday, July 29, 2017

Phone: 757-890-3750   TDD: 757-890-3621




 Erosion and Sediment Control

Chesapeake Bay Preservation Areas - CBPA

York County Ordinance Chapter 23.2 specifies requirements in the Chesapeake Bay Buffer areas.  In addition the following details are standards that the County uses.

Stormwater Standards and Specifications

York County Ordinance Chapter 23.3 requires that you design to Virginia Stormwater Management Handbook Requirements

Pipes and drainage structures are designed to VDOT Standards.


York County Ordinance Chapter 24.1 - 373 specifies requirements for floodplain development.

York County's FEMA FIRM Maps were updated June 16, 2009 and these are the maps now used by the Insurance and Mortgage companies.

York County's original FEMA Federal Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) is dated December 16, 1988.  Any house built prior to that date without substantial improvements or additions is considered a Pre-Firm structure.

York County Hazard Mitigation Plan 2006 - Floodplain Section

York County Floodplain Annual Report 2010

FEMA Preferred Risk Policy (PRP) Insurance Extension FAQ

FEMA Grandfathering Rules

Mapping Information of the floodplain is available through the County Geographic Information System (GIS)

FEMA Flood Insurance Study December 16, 1988

FEMA Flood Insurance Study 2009

To see the floodzone on your property and make a map of it go to the GIS link above and do the following steps:

  1. Type in address and click search
  2. Click on the address to open up the details
  3. In the details list on the right is the Flood Zone designations and Elevations for the property.
  4. Go to View Property in Interactive Map at the upper right corner to view the map of the property.
  5. On the Map Layer on the left side Check the Building under property  and under Environmental Check Flood Zone.

This will show the flood zones with buildings - you can zoom in or out for better detail.

If you want to print it, go back to the property sheet tab and select printer friendly

Click here for FEMA MAPS.

You can type in your address on that site, and make a FIRMETTE of the map over your property.

York County's mapping information is the same as FEMA's.  Please keep in mind that these boundaries are approximate.  It is always recommended that you obtain flood insurance if you are concerned about flooding even if you are not in an AE Flood Zone.

If your building is mapped in a AE Flood Zone but you don't think you really are, you can do a FEMA Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA).   This information is also on their website but you will probably need to hire a surveyor to do an Elevation Certificate for your property.  The surveyor can also do a LOMA for you.   

If you have any questions, call Joe Brogan, PE CFM, Floodplain Manager at 757-890-3831.