Our office strives to treat each crime victim and witness with dignity and respect. As a victim of crime you may be entitled to many different rights and services, as enacted by the Crime Victim and Witness Rights Act of 1995. The purpose of this law is to ensure that victims and witnesses of crime:
- Are informed of their rights
- Are treated with dignity, respect, and sensitivity and that their privacy is protected where the law allows
- Receive authorized services
- Have opportunities to make the courts aware of the full impact of the crime
- Have the opportunity to be heard at critical stages of the criminal justice process
Please contact the Victim Witness Assistance Program at (757) 890-3402 for further assistance.