Come to New Quarter Park
This Weekend at the Park
- Saturday, September 21 - BYOK! (Bring your own Kayak...or Canoe); 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon. Participants should arrive by 9:00 a.m. and then drive one mile to the put-in site with staff. This FREE paddle will take place on beautiful Queen's Creek, with opportunities to perhaps see Ospreys, Egrets, Great Blue Herons and Bald Eagles along the way. The group will launch together by 9:20 a.m. for the approximately two and a half hour trip. Register by calling Bay Country Kayaking at 804-695-4660
- Saturday, September 21 - Movie in the Park! We will be showing the live-action version of Charlotte's Web, starting at sunset (7:30 p.m.) on the softball field right behind the park office. Bring blankets and chairs to sit on. The movie is free of charge and concessions will be available for purchase at "family-friendly" prices.
Next Weekend at the Park
- Thursday and Friday, September 26-27 - Public Dig Day! Join archaeologists from the Fairfield Foundation at New Quarter Park and help dig for and sort artifacts dating all the way back to the time the land was first occupied by Native Americans. Participants can sign up, for FREE, for a morning (9:30 a.m.-12 p.m.) or afternoon (1-4 p.m.) session on either day by emailing Fairfield@FairfieldFoundation.org. Ten slots are available for volunteers at each of the four sessions. Participants will be most likely to recover bricks, nails, plaster, shells, ceramics, glass, stone, and metal fragments. Most of the items relate to the European and African-American occupants who lived here during the 17th and 18th centuries before the land was abandoned around 1800.
Registration open for the 2nd Annual Great Pumpkin Hunt!
- On Saturday, October 19, at 5:15 p.m. - children ages 5-12 can walk down New Quarter Park's trails in search of treats during our 2nd Annual "Great Pumpkin Hunt!" Participants guided by volunteers will hunt by age groups for hidden plastic pumpkins filled with Halloween-themed gifts. Registered children will receive a gift bag to collect the plastic pumpkins as well as an assortment of candy distributed into each bag and a glow-in-the-dark necklace. NOTE: Space is limited and registration will close on October 11. You can register online at www.yorkcounty.gov/parksandrec for a fee of $5 per child.
Last Chance of the Year!
- Sunset Kayak Trips - We have one final sunset kayak trip from New Quarter Park scheduled for Thursday, October 3. The trip will meet 90 minutes before sunset (6:30pm). Staff will cover proper paddling technique and then lead the trip down the tranquil Queens Creek to view the sunset. This is a great beginner kayak trip for participants 13 and older. There are five (5) spots available per trip, at a fee of $30 per person. Participants must be at least 13 years of age and youth under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult. You can register for the tours at www.yorkcounty.gov/parksandrec.
Kayaks will no longer be available for rent after October 6. Rentals will return on March 30, 2020. If interested in scheduling a private group kayak tour, please email Michael Wilcox at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about any of our programs, call New Quarter Park at 757-890-5840. To register for upcoming programs, please visit our website at www.yorkcounty.gov/parksandrec
NOTE: For weather related cancellations, please call our RainoutLine at 757-890-3501 and use extension 35 for events, extension 34 for the disc golf course, or extension 33 for trails at New Quarter Park. You may also visit our RainoutLine webpage
See you at the park,
Call New Quarter Park at 757-890-5840
Residents: $25 - $100
Non-Residents: $50 - $150
Fire Circle: $25
Resident or Members of the CDGC: Daily $3, Annual $25
Non-Residents: Daily $5, Annual $50
Merchandise and Rentals available