Come to New Quarter Park
NOTE: Due to the high heat index we are experiencing, please note the changes below that have been made to this weekend's programs.
AND, please stay safe in whatever you do outdoors! Keep a close watch on the weather forecast during this time. The heat index (combination of heat and humidity, or what the temperature outside "feels like") is forecasted to reach a high of at least 100 degrees during every one of these next five days, Thursday - Monday. Forecasts change, but as of the time this is sent out, the heat index on some days, especially Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, is expected to reach or exceed 110 degrees. IF you are going to be outside, please remember these safety tips:
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Start drinking plenty of water the day before and throughout the entire day you will be spending some time outdoors; caffeinated drinks are NOT recommended.
- Limit your time outdoors, take plenty of breaks, and find shade if you can.
- Aim for outside time during early morning hours and still be careful. During this heat stretch, even the mornings will be very hot and humid.
- Avoid any strenuous activities.
- Wear light weight, loose fitting clothing.
Remember, extreme heat conditions such as we are facing mean that prolonged exposure or any strenuous activities may lead to heat related illnesses that require medical attention. Here is a helpful link from the National Safety Council on Heat Stroke and Heat Exhaustion: https://bit.ly/2GhypXd
Programs this week
- Saturday, July 20 - Bring Your Own Kayak (BYOK) - NOTE: BYOK may be cancelled Saturday due to an expected high heat index throughout its morning timeframe. We will continue to monitor the weather forecast for this. Please call the RainoutLine at 757-890-3501 and use extension 35 for events for an update by 1:00 p.m. Friday on whether or not the event will be held this Saturday. Join us for our monthly BYOK hosted by Bay Country Kayaking. We will be meeting at "The Point" at 9 a.m. for a FREE guided tour of Queens Lake. If you would like to join, but do not have a kayak, you can rent one from Bay Country. To register for the tour, please call Bay Country Kayaking at (804) 695-4660.
- Saturday, July 20 - NEW LOCATION AND TIME The Legacy of Charles Corner This program will begin at 11 a.m. at Saint John Baptist Church, 1397 Penniman Rd, Williamsburg, VA 23185, Fellowship Hall. Family historian and attorney Vicki Simons will present her research on descendants of Anthony (1844-1904) and Octavia (1849-1912) Hundley as well as other free and self-emancipated people who thrived there before, during, and after the Civil War. Kristen Allen, family historian and behavioral traffic safety specialist, will also present her research.
- Saturday, July 20 - CANCELLED Movies In The Park: An American Tail
This will be rescheduled for a later date.
- Sunday, July 21 - CANCELLED Weekend On Your Wheel Bike Race Series
Due to the excessive heat, the final race of the series has been cancelled. The race will be re-scheduled for a later date. We will send out more information once the new time has been confirmed.
Next week on Wednesday, July 24, we will have our monthly Moonlight and Music program at the shelter next to the basketball courts, from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Local musician Joe Duggan will lead a round table acoustic music session. Bring your guitars, banjos, and fiddles, or come to sit back and enjoy the music!
For more information about any of our programs, call New Quarter Park at 757-890-5840. To register for upcoming programs go to www.yorkcounty.gov/parksandrec.
NOTE: For weather related cancellations, please call our RainoutLine at 757-890-3501 and use extension 35 for events, extension 34 for the disc golf course, or extension 33 for trails at New Quarter Park. You may also visit our RainoutLine webpage.
See you at the park,
Call New Quarter Park at 757-890-5840
Residents: $25 - $100
Non-Residents: $50 - $150
Fire Circle: $25
Resident or Members of the CDGC: Daily $3, Annual $25
Non-Residents: Daily $5, Annual $50
Merchandise and Rentals available