York County Update 09/4/2020
BOS September 15 meeting scheduled for York Hall; Labor Day Weekend Concert Marathon on WYCG-TV; Senior Center Programs Returning; and more
Board of Supervisors September 15 Meeting Scheduled for York Hall
Labor Day Concert Marathon Airing on WYCG-TV
- The Board of Supervisors' September 15 meeting will be held in the Board Room of York Hall, 301 Main Street, in historic Yorktown. There are seven public hearing items on the agenda as well as a comment period during which citizens may speak. All public comments will be taken in person at the meeting. No remote public participation/comments will be available, but citizens may submit comments via email prior to the meeting to email@example.com. Safety measures will be in place, including limited seating to allow for social distancing and citizens will be asked to wear a mask. The meeting begins at 6 p.m. and will be broadcast live on WYCG-TV (Cox 46, Verizon 38) and at www.yorkcounty.gov/tv. The Board of Supervisors work sessions (typically the first meeting of each month) will continue to be held remotely. The second meeting of each month will be held in person as long as COVID-19 safety requirements can be met.
Parks & Recreation Office / Virginia Cooperative Extension Reopen to the Public; Senior Center Programs Available
- We are pleased to announce the perfect soundtrack for your end of summer celebrations - Sounds of Summer Virtual Labor Day Weekend Marathon on WYCG-TV! Tune in all weekend on Cox 46, Verizon 38 for concerts featuring the region's favorite bands all taped live from a closed set at the Freight Shed when Visit Yorktown's Sounds of Summer went virtual. For your listening and viewing pleasure, you can enjoy Slapnation, WOAH! and Tidewater Drive Band from Friday through Monday, 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. to midnight.
Go Green Market is September 12
- Located in Washington Square Shopping Center, the offices of Parks & Recreation and Virginia Cooperative Extension are open to assist the public with registrations and to answer questions about our programs. Citizens are asked to wear a mask, use hand sanitizer, and follow social distancing guidelines when visiting these offices. Hours of operation are 8:15 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, unless otherwise posted. These offices are closed on York County holidays. For more information, call Parks & Recreation at (757) 890-3500 or Virginia Cooperative Extension at (757) 890-4940.
- The Senior Center of York is once again offering programs to our seniors aged 55+ and their spouses regardless of age. Patrons must pre-register to participate in any of the following programs: Art Time, Ping Pong, Bingo, Knitting Club, Quilting Club, Paint Nite, and Let's Go to the Movies. Registration deadline for these programs is four days before the activity date. Dates and times are available online. The Senior Center remains closed to daily activity with doors opened to registered program participants only. For more information, please call (757) 890-3444.
York County Recognized as a 2020 Digital Counties Survey Winner
- In collaboration with the County's Department of Public Works and the York County Beautification Committee, the Yorktown Market Days September 12 event will Go Green and encourage shoppers to reduce, reuse, and recycle. The market begins at 8 a.m. and continues until noon. At the market you will find free information to promote environmental sustainability as well as free reusable market bags for the first 500 customers. Shoppers will have the opportunity to discuss growing practices with farmers, and select vendors will be offering recycling initiatives at their booths for future purchases. The visiting life-sized LOVE letters will also be turned green for the day as a photo opportunity for visitors. For more information, call York County Tourism Development at (757) 890-5900 or visit the Market Days website.
Planning Commission September 9 Meeting Cancelled
- York County has once again been named one of the nation's top digital counties by The Center for Digital Government (CDG) and the National Association of Counties (NACo)! York County placed seventh in the category of counties with a population of 150,000 or less. This designation is given to counties with the best technology practices, including initiatives that streamline delivery of services, enhanced cybersecurity initiatives, disaster response and recovery efforts, and more. The CDG press release contains additional information.
Reminder: County Offices Closed on Monday, September 7 for Labor Day; Changes to Recycling Collection, Garbage Not Affected by Holiday
- There were no applications on the September Planning Commission agenda. The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, October 14. For more information, visit the website or call (757) 890-3404.
- Just a reminder that York County Offices, Courts, Libraries, York-Poquoson Social Services, Virginia Cooperative Extension, and the Administrative Offices of the Waste Management Center are closed on Monday, September 7. For complete details, read the press release issued last week.