Status Update 06/12/2020 - The Latest from York County
Board of Supervisors Meeting Agenda
The Board of Supervisors' next meeting is Tuesday, June 16. The meeting begins at 6 p.m. and will be broadcast live on WYCG-TV (Cox 46, Verizon 38) and live streaming at www.yorkcounty.gov/tv
. This is an electronic remote meeting. There are five public hearing items on the agenda and citizen phone lines have been established for each public hearing and the meeting's citizen comment period. You can view the agenda and phone-in instructions here
. Economic Development Shares Resources to Assist Area Businesses
Schooner Alliance, Market Days Return to Riverwalk Landing
- Is your business open? Do you have any special offers or events to share? Send us an email with your business hours of operation, services provided, and anything else you want patrons to know about. We'll list it all on our website as a quick and informative resource for area consumers.
- Businesses seeking assistance are urged to visit the York County Office of Economic Development's COVID-19 Business Resources site. Here you'll find information on grants, disaster relief resources, business tools, and more.
Safety Town Registration is Now Open for Children Entering Kindergarten
- Social distancing never looked so relaxing - out on the open water of the York River! The Schooner Alliance returns to Riverwalk Landing Piers Friday, June 12. The owners and captains, Greg and Laura Lohse, will not be bringing their second schooner to Yorktown this summer but will instead be adding a fourth sail to the rotation of the Alliance. It will be an additional late-day history sail. COVID-19 procedures include half capacity limit for passengers, facemasks for both the crew and customers, hand sanitizing at the gate, and wipe-downs of the ship between each sail, especially at common touchpoints. The crew will also have temperature checks before their shifts and the restroom on board will closed to the public. Guests are also not permitted in the galley and will have to place food and drink orders through the portholes.
- A cool breeze off the water; friendly faces; a variety of fresh, local food to shop - there's nothing like a Saturday morning in Yorktown! Our well-organized Yorktown Market Days returns to the waterfront Saturday, June 13, from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. The market has everything on your shopping list - from seasonal produce and delicious baked goods to gourmet dog treats and handmade soaps and candles. We are taking important precautions to keep our customers and vendors safe amidst COVID-19 concerns. Read all about it in this week's press release.
The County's award-winning Safety Town program is beginning its 26th
season providing safety information to children entering Kindergarten in the fall. This year's program features three week-long sessions of four days each. Two weeks will be held at Mr. Vernon Elementary School and the final week at Waller Mill Elementary School. Space is limited, so early registration is recommended. Cost is $35 for County residents and $50 for non-County residents. View dates, times, and safety topics in the press release
. Temporary Polling Place for June 23 Republican Primary
- Voters who normally visit the Grafton School Complex on Election Day will instead cast their votes at the Senior Center of York on June 23. This is a temporary move due to the Grafton School Complex closing for renovation following a February fire. View more information here.
- Absentee voting is now underway. The deadline to apply to vote absentee online or by mail or email is 5 p.m. on Tuesday, June 16. The deadline to apply to vote absentee in person is 5 p.m. on Saturday, June 20. In order to accommodate those who wish to vote absentee in person, the Registrar's Office will be open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday, June 20, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, call (757) 890-3440 or visit the Voter Registrar's website.