May 1 Status Update: The Latest from York County
This email is part of an ongoing WEEKLY status update from York County.
Board of Supervisors Meeting Agenda
- The Board of Supervisors' next meeting is Tuesday, May 5. The meeting begins at 6 p.m. and will be broadcast live on WYCG-TV (Cox 46, Verizon 38) and live streaming at www.yorkcounty.gov/tv. The agenda can be viewed here. This is an electronic remote meeting.
- The VPPSA Compost Facility reopens to the public on Monday, May 4. Credit cards and commercial accounts will be accepted for payment. The facility is located at the York County Waste Management Center, 145 Goodwin Neck Road, and is open Monday through Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Details are available in the press release and at www.yorkcounty.gov/wastemanagement.
- The Household Chemical Collection and Computer Recycling event is being held Saturday, May 9, from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Operations Drive (just off Goodwin Neck Road). Additional details are available in the press release and at www.yorkcounty.gov/wastemanagement.
- In partnership with the Art at the River Committee, Tourism Development launched the Art at the River Virtual Art Show Facebook event, which runs through Sunday, May 3. The Facebook event includes images of the artists' work as well as contact information for purchases. Twenty-five of the thirty-nine artists chosen earlier this year for the Art at the River Juried Art Show, scheduled to be held at Riverwalk Landing before the event was cancelled due to COVID-19, are participating in this online event.
Of the online event, participating artist Russ Turnage said, "Some really nice work! We shared it to my Facebook page. The customer I had today had never seen my work before and found me through the Visit Yorktown site. She made a significant purchase, very welcome during these difficult days."
The Art at the River Virtual Art Show Facebook event is available at https://www.facebook.com/events/1572593099555977/
- The temporary drive-thru version of Yorktown Market Days at McReynolds Athletic Complex (MAC) kicked off Saturday, April 25. It was extremely successful with overwhelmingly positive feedback from the community! Overall, 220 cars passed through the MAC to pick up more than 350 pre-orders. This is primarily a Facebook Event (Yorktown Market Days) where vendors are individually sharing products, pricing, and pre-order information. The vast majority of our vendors do not have websites where they can list their inventory. For citizens without access to social media, we have also listed the vendors' email addresses and phone numbers online under the "This Week at the Market" page so customers may reach out to them directly to see what they offer. This Saturday, May 2, is Virginia Farmers Market Week. We are part of a special campaign run by the Virginia Tourism Corporation to shine light on markets across the state that have modified operations to provide families with access to locally sourced, fresh, healthy food during the pandemic.
One of our vendors, Birch Knoll Farm, stated: "I wanted to thank you for the marketing post. Yesterday was our best sales day, nearly doubling all other days. Thank you so much!" The closures/cancellations listing is regularly updated on the County's website - www.yorkcounty.gov - and is being shared on the County's Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/yorkcountyva/. For a listing of York County phone numbers, visit www.yorkcounty.gov/directory.