Virginia’s Sales Tax holiday is August 3-5, beginning at 12:01 a.m. Friday, August 3, and ending at 11:59 p.m., Sunday, August 5.
According to the state’s sales tax holiday website - https://www.tax.virginia.gov/virginia-sales-tax-holiday - during the sales tax holiday, you can buy qualifying school supplies, clothing, footwear, hurricane and emergency preparedness items, and Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products without paying sales tax.
Items that qualify as tax free include:
- Hurricane and emergency preparedness products
- Portable generators - $1,000 or less per item
- Gas-powered chainsaws - $350 or less per item
- Chainsaw accessories - $60 or less per item
- Other specified hurricane preparedness items - $60 or less per item (examples include flashlights, batteries, bungee cords, tarps, duct tape, bottled water, and more)
- Qualifying Energy Star™ or WaterSense™ products purchased for noncommercial home or personal use - $2,500 or less per item Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products
- School supplies, clothing, and footwear
- Qualified school supplies - $20 or less per item
- Qualified clothing and footwear - $100 or less per item
For a detailed list of items that qualify for the tax free holiday, visit the state’s website given above and search the “2018 Combined Sales Tax Holiday Guidelines.”
Visit www.yorkcounty.gov/readyyork for York County emergency preparedness information.