A variety of educational and entertaining programs are being offered at the Senior Center of York in March. Participation is open to seniors age 55 or better and their spouses, regardless of age. To register for these activities, sign up in person at the Senior Center or call (757) 890-3444.
Along with our regular activities – Birthday Bash, Culture Day, and “War Stories and Pizza” - activities scheduled for February include:
• AARP Free Tax Service – Ongoing through Saturday, April 13. Tax preparation will be provided on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Priority is given to seniors age 60 and over who are present at 9 a.m. Participants should bring all current tax information as well as last year’s tax returns.
• AARP Driver Safety Program – Monday, March 11 (12:30 to 4:45) and Tuesday, March 12 (12:30 to 4:30). Call the Senior Center to register or for more information.
• “Veteran’s Benefits Seminar” – Wednesday, March 27, at 12:45. Millions of veterans or their widows are likely missing out on millions of dollars a year in pensions and other benefits because they are unaware that they exist. Christina Boyd-Drummond with Care Connect of Hampton Roads presents these benefits, eligibility requirements, and the application process.
• Learn how to play Pickleball! – Thursday, March 28, at 1 p.m. This is one of the fastest growing sports in America and is a combination of tennis, badminton, and ping pong.
• White Elephant, Bake, and Craft Fundraiser – Saturday, March 30, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Please support this event by bringing in your donated items (no clothing please) Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Pre-packaged ready-for-sale baked goods may be delivered on Friday, March 29, or the morning of the event.
Mark your calendar – Annual Senior Health & Safety Fair – Friday, April 19, from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. This FREE event offers health screenings, seminars, demonstrations and access to organizations supporting the health of our community. Screenings include cholesterol, blood pressure, bond density, hearing, vision and more. Registration begins March 18.
Call the Senior Center at (757) 890-3444 for more information about these and other events.