The Virginia Symphony Orchestra, under the baton of Aaron Breid, returns to Yorktown on Saturday, August 31, at 7:30 p.m. for its 23rd annual outdoor concert under the stars. Visitors are encouraged to pack picnics, bring lawn chairs and/or blankets for seating, and arrive early for this spectacular night of music. The award-winning Fifes and Drums of York Town take the stage at 6 p.m. for a festive performance, and blue ribbons will be awarded to the most creative picnic set-ups prior to the event.
This free concert is presented by the Celebrate Yorktown Committee of the Yorktown Foundation with generous support from York County, York County Arts Commission, and the Virginia Commission for the Arts, as well as community contributors from organizations, businesses, and individuals. The volunteer-run Celebrate Yorktown Committee works diligently each year to raise the money needed to cover the costs of this special evening.
Because this performance draws such a large crowd, visitors are encouraged to keep in mind the following important traffic reminders:
- Parking is available in the two-level parking terrace on Water Street, with handicapped parking located on the lower level.
- Additional parking can be found at York Hall, York County Courts & Office Complex and other designated lots throughout town. For this evening only, guests may utilize spaces at the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown beginning at 5 p.m.
- To ease the flow of traffic, no loading of any equipment, chairs, coolers, etc. into vehicles will be permitted during or at the conclusion of the concert at the corners of Water and Ballard Streets and Water and Buckner Streets.
- The Yorktown Trolley will be unavailable during and after the concert. Service that evening ends at 5:30 p.m.
Additional Event Info:
- Website: www.visityorktown.org
- York County Tourism Development: (757) 890-3500
- York County Weather Event Hotline: (757) 890-3520
- Facebook, Instagram, Twitter: @visityorktown #visityorktown
Additional photos are available at https://bit.ly/2XYtuk1.