A variety of educational and entertaining programs are being offered at the Senior Center of York in June. Participation is open to seniors age 55 or better and their spouses, regardless of age. To register for these activities, sign up in person at the Senior Center or call (757) 890-3444.
Along with our regular activities – Birthday Bash, Craft Day, AARP Driver Safety Program, and “War Stories and Pizza” - activities scheduled for June include:
- Sign Language – Friday, June 7, at 1 p.m. Facilitator Kathy Wahl will give participants a brief history in American Sign Language and a lesson in alphabet, greetings, numbers and every day vocabulary.
- York Poquoson Triad presents “Up Close with the K-9 Unit” – Wednesday, June 12, at 1 p.m. In December 2018, the York-Poquoson Sheriff’s Office welcomed its newest K-9 deputy, Saber, a two-year-old German shepherd. Deputy Brett Schultz, Saber’s handler and partner, will provide insight into Saber’s training and give a demonstration on how Saber is trained to find items and people.
- Charlottesville Trip – Thursday, June 13. Join us for an exciting day in Charlottesville with a visit to Thomas Jefferson’s historic home of Monticello, and lunch and shopping at Michie Tavern. We will meet at the Senior Center and depart by chartered bus. The cost is $98, which does not include the cost of lunch.
- “The Power of Positivity” – Tuesday, June 18, 10:30 a.m. Join Wellness Lifestyle Entrepreneur Allison Manternach for an informative look at how your attitude creates your life. Discover the difference between a thought, a feeling, emotion, mood, and attitude.
- Culture Day: “In Search of Sir Walter Raleigh’s Lost Colonists” – Wednesday, June 19, at 1 p.m. Archaeologist Nick Lucketti will discuss the excavations and investigations of the 16th-century abandoned colony of Roanoke Island in North Carolina. Mr. Lucketti will also share findings of the discovered Site X, known as the location of a splinter group of Lost Colonists along the Albemarle Sound. Refreshments provided.
Many of these events require pre-registration. Call the Senior Center at (757) 890-3444 to register and for more information about these and other events.