Jobs & Careers
JobNow provides users with a host of services to help in every step of the job search process including job searching, resume template, professional resume review, live interview coaching, and skill building resources.
VetNow supports your community's veterans and their families with navigating the VA bureaucracy, providing academic tutoring, employment transition assistance, and live job coaching.
LearningExpress Library offers practice tests, exercises and skill-building courses for students and adults. Explore potential careers (including military service), build workplace skills, and prepare for career licensure exams. Learning centers are also available for GED preparation.
Peterson's Career Prep
Gale Presents: Peterson's Career Prep offers advice on resumes, cover letters, interviewing, and networking. Access in-depth career assessments, job searches based on assessment results, and information on higher education and certification programs.
Universal Class offers courses in career and computer training. Courses include Resume Writing 101, Interview Skills, Business Administration 101, Managing Your Career, and more.
These websites offer comprehensive services for jobseekers including career exploration, salaries, education, training, job searches, resumes and interview tips.
- CareerOneStop, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, offers tools to help jobseekers, students, businesses and career professionals. Research occupations, plan your education, plan your job search, create a resume and locate career centers near you.
- Hampton Roads Workforce Council provides services including resume development, career counseling, financial coaching, job search training, and hiring events.
- Veteran and Military Transition Center is a CareerOneStop website for employment, training and financial help after military service. It includes the Military-to-Civilian Job Search tool where veterans and service members can search for jobs based on the skills and experiences they gained in the military.
- Virginia Employment Commission provides services for employers, jobseekers, military veterans and the unemployed. Unemployment claims are filed online at this website.
- Virginia Career Works offers job seekers skill assessments, career search tools, and career exploration services.
- Virginia Workforce Connection offers career, jobseeker, education, financial, veteran, youth and senior services. Assess your job skills, create resumes and cover letters, set up a search agent to automatically review job postings, track your job search efforts and use the email/message center to contact employers.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics' Occupational Outlook Handbook is the Nation's premier source for career information. The profiles cover hundreds of occupations and describe what they do, the work environment, how to become one, pay, employment projections and more.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics' Career Information for Kids website provides introductory career information for students in grades 4-8.
- mySkillsmyFuture helps laid-off workers and other career changers find new occupations. You can explore career options based on the skills you have used in your current or past job, learn more about the jobs suggested, locate training programs and apply for jobs.
- O*NET OnLine offers career exploration tools to help workers consider and plan career options. This site helps individuals identify their work-related interests, what they consider important on the job and their abilities.
- College Navigator, a U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics website, will help you search for the right college, perform side-by-side comparisons of schools and save your results.
- Job Corps is a free education and training program that helps young people learn a career, earn a high school diploma or GED and find and keep a good job.
- Federal Student Aid is your source for free information from the U.S. Department of Education on preparing for and funding education beyond high school.
Miscellaneous Job Resources
- Federal Trade Commission offers information that can keep you from getting scammed when you're job hunting,going into business, furthering your education and training, and setting up a home-based business.