Checkpoints for Starting a Business
When you are wishing to start business in York County, the following checkpoints are recommended for you to take:
- Zoning and Code Enforcement: All businesses are required to file for zoning clearance. The application is completed by the Commissioner of the Revenue's office and forwarded to the Department of Environmental and Development Services for final approval. Sign permits may be obtained through the same office and you must apply for a business license prior to the approval of such permit.
- Site Plan: If you are constructing a new building or renovating an existing structure, you may need to prepare a site plan according to the York County Zoning Ordinance and submit it to the Department of Environmental and Development Services.
- Building Permit: Plans for proposed new construction or renovation / alteration of existing buildings require issuance of a building permit. Plans must be submitted for review and approval.
- Trade Name Registration: Apply for Fictitious Name Certificate (PDF) at the Clerk of the Circuit Court, contact them at 757-890-3350
- Business License: Apply for a business license, call 757-890-3383 for more information
- Worker Classification: Independent Contractor vs. Employee: Worker classification affects how you file your tax return and pay your federal income tax, social security and Medicare taxes. To assist you with determining this distinction, . For more information, please visit the IRS website.
- Business Personal Property: File a Tax Return of Business Personal Property form (PDF).
The Office of Economic Development has created a "York County Business Resource Guide" to assists business owners and developers interested in locating or developing in the County. View the resource guide (PDF).