Plea Agreements

In most cases, if the defendant pleads guilty, you will not have to testify. Plea agreements can occur in both misdemeanors and felonies. The prosecutor may agree to modify the charges or recommend that a defendant receive a certain sentence in return for a plea of guilty.

If you are the victim of the crime, you have the right to be notified if there are plea agreement negotiations in your case. You must submit your request in writing. Victim-Witness Assistance staff can assist you with requesting notification if you call 757-890-3402. However, even if you do not formally request notification of a plea agreement, the prosecutor handling your case will try to contact you before a plea agreement is formalized. If you do not understand the agreement, or have questions about it, ask the attorney for a full explanation.