New Resident Checklist

Set up Utilities

  • Electricity. Supplied by Dominion Energy - (866) 366-4357. 
  • Natural Gas. Where available, natural gas is supplied by Virginia Natural Gas- (866) 229-3578. 
  • Waste ManagementYork County recycling services, waste disposal services, leaf collection General Yard Waste Collection, Community Compost Facility, Household Chemical Disposal - (757) 890-3780. 
  • Water. For your public water source, call York County Utility Billing - (757) 890-3702. Municipal water in the lower County is supplied by Newport News Waterworks- (757) 926-1000. In the upper County, water suppliers include:
  • Private wells are the only source of drinking water in some sections of the County. Well construction must be approved by the Health Department- (757) 594-7305 (lower County) or (757) 253-4813 (upper County).
  • Sewers.  Hampton Roads Sanitation District (HRSD) manages municipal wastewater treatment in Hampton Roads and bills customers every two months, based on water consumption. For customer service, call HRSD - (757) 460-2491.
  • York County Sewer is maintained by Public Works Utilities Operations - (757) 890-3750. Where sewerage is available, residents are billed every two months to maintain the system - (757) 890-3702.
  • Septic tank permits are issued by the Health Department, if soil passes a percolation test administered by a department sanitarian - (757) 253-4813 (upper County) or (757) 594-7305 (lower County). 

Update your vehicle information

License your dogs

School registration

School Administrative Offices are located at 302 Dare Road, Yorktown. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday - (757) 898-0300

Register to vote  
Change your address at the Post Office 
  • Grafton Branch - (757) 898-5435