- Planning and Development Services
- Building Safety
Permit Fees - New Fee Schedule
Building Safety Regular Office Hours are 8:00 am to 4:30 p.m.
2023 Business Licenses Due
Please have your business license submitted to email@example.com. No permits will be issued without an updated (2023) business license.
Online portal for permitting and inspections
In our continued effort to provide our customers with the most efficient and cost effective ways to work with us, we are introducing a new customer service online portal to assist in the permitting and inspection process. It will increase the availability of permit information and reduce the need for in-person visits and phone calls. Those who do business with this office will be able to track current projects and submit requests for new items using the portal. However, it will require that all of our customers have a portal account set up.
If you are a contractor or homeowner needing access to this new online service, please fill out the registration form here.
After filling out and submitting the form, we will make sure the account is active. As part of the registration, all of your current projects will be linked to your account. Once your account is active, you must use the online portal to request inspections.
The quick reference guide on how to use the portal, request inspections and view permit information can be found here.
The Division of Building Safety is responsible for monitoring all types of building construction in the county to ensure that it meets minimum code requirements and the expectations of occupants for structural integrity, workmanship and safety.
The Division of Building Safety objectives are:
- To conduct inspections on all buildings under construction and buildings hazardous to the public within the jurisdiction.
- To coordinate and consult with Public Safety Officials, Health Department and State Building Code Officials.
- To coordinate with Dominion Energy and Virginia Natural Gas on all power and gas installations.
- To enforce the County building regulations and related codes.
- To prepare monthly and yearly reports on all building activities.
- To provide assistance to other departments, agencies and commissions.
- To provide comments and code requirements to builders, developers and citizens of the County.
- To provide expert testimony for litigation.
- To provide guidance and administrative support to the Building Code Appeals Board.
- To receive and review residential and commercial building plans for structural, plumbing, mechanical and electrical requirements.
- To receive fees and process receipts from permit activities.
Other initiatives include training of sub-contractors who are not members of the Peninsula Home Builders Association and to meet with the Builders Association on a quarterly basis.