May Walk To Wellness & Healthy Eating Program
Sponsored by the York County Safety Committee and the York County Wellness Committee
Program #1: Walking Challenge! May 6, 2018 - June 2, 2018
CONTEST SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
Open walking log (LINK #3) above.
All submissions must be received by close of business on June 8, 2018 in order to qualify for the final drawing.
Prize drawing will be held on June 11, 2018.
Walking is the #1 exercise for millions of Americans.
Walking is one of the easiest exercises you can do every day. It's easy on the body, burns calories, builds muscle, and it doesn't require any expensive equipment. Walking promotes better health and fitness. By participating in this walking program - you have taken a step toward overall body fitness.
Walking toward a healthier you.
There are countless physical activities out there, but walking has the lowest dropout rate of them all! It's the simplest positive change you can make to effectively improve your heart health.
Research has shown that the benefits of walking and moderate physical activity for at least 30 minutes a day can help you:
- Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease
- Improve blood pressure and blood sugar levels
- Improve blood lipid profile
- Maintain body weight and lower the risk of obesity
- Enhance mental well being
- Reduce the risk of osteoporosis
- Reduce the risk of breast and colon cancer
- Reduce the risk of non-insulin dependent (type 2) diabetes
- Goodwin Neck 1 mile course
- Griffin Yeates 1 mile course
- Yorktown 1 mile course (A)
- Yorktown 1 mille course (B)
- Yorktown 1 mile course (C)
- All area trails various maps
- City Center at Oyster Point
- Newport News Park Trail
- New Quarter Park Trail
- McReynolds Athletic Complex Trail
Program #2: Healthy Eating Challenge!
In addition to exercise, what you eat plays an important role in your health!
|The Safety Committee is holding a healthy eating challenge in addition to the walking program. |
Try to cut out two unhealthy foods during the month of May and send us a picture of your best/healthiest meal!
Safety Committee members will hold a separate gift card drawing for healthy eating participants.