Juvenile Records Retention Schedule:
- Custody, Visitation, Chins, Abuse & Neglect, Foster Care, Paternity, Juvenile Misdemeanor Non-DMV Reportable, Traffic Infraction Not Guilty or Dismissed, and Felony-Dismissal or non-conviction cases are kept until age 19 + 5 years from the last hearing.
- Traffic Infraction or Misdemeanor Conviction - DMV Reportable are kept until age 29.
- Felony Conviction/Guilty are kept forever.
Adult Records Retention Schedule:
- Criminal cases are kept for 10 years from the last hearing date with the exception of cases in which the defendant is charged with § 16.1-253.2 or § 18.2-57.2, which must be kept for 20 years from the last hearing date.
- Protective Order cases are kept for 10 years from the last hearing date.
- Spousal Support cases are kept until one party is deceased or 10 years after the order was terminated.
- Child Support cases are kept until the last dependent child is at least 19 years old and 10 years have elapsed since the termination of the support order.
Early Destruction of Court Records:
Petition Or Motion For Expungement (Instructions) filed in Circuit Court even if the case was disposed of in Juvenile & Domestic Relations District Court.
Motion and Order For Expungement and Destruction of Juvenile Records (Instructions) filed in Juvenile Court.