Welcome to Yorktown! Beyond its many amenities, our community has much to offer. The York County government is here to provide services that will enhance your quality of life. The following checklist will assist you during your transition.
Set up Utilities
Electricity. Supplied by Dominion Virginia Power - (888) 667-3000.
Natural Gas. Where available, natural gas is supplied by Virginia Natural Gas - (866) 229-3578.
Waste Management. York County recycling services, waste disposal services, leaf collection General Yard Waste Collection, Community Compost Facility, Household Chemical Disposal - (757) 890-3780.
Water. For your public water source, call York County Utilities - (757) 890-3751. Municipal water in the lower County is supplied by Newport News Waterworks - (757) 926-1000. In the upper County, water suppliers include:
Private wells are the only source of drinking water in some sections of the County. Well construction must be approved by the Health Department - (757) 594-7340 (lower County) or (757) 253-4813 (upper County).
Sewers. Hampton Roads Sanitation District (HRSD) manages municipal wastewater treatment in Hampton Roads and bills customers every two months, based on water consumption. For customer service, call HRSD - (757) 460-2491.
York County Sewer is maintained by the Department of Environmental & Development Services' Utilities Division - (757) 890-3751. Where sewerage is available, residents are billed every two months to maintain the system - (757) 890-3702.
Septic tank permits are issued by the Health Department, if soil passes a percolation test administered by a department sanitarian - (757) 253-4813 (upper County) or (757) 594-7340 (lower County).
Interested in Cable TV?
Establish your home phone service
Update your vehicle information
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles Purchase Virginia plates and your new state vehicle registration, update your drivers license - (800) 435-5137 or 1-866-DMVLINE (1-866-368-5463). Some transactions can be carried out on-line or visit your local DMV office:
- Hampton - 109 Roanoke Avenue, Hampton, VA 23605-1637
- Newport News - 12730 Patrick Henry Drive, Newport News, VA 23602-9515
- Williamsburg - 952 Capitol Landing Road, Williamsburg, VA 23185-4327
Register your vehicle with the County of York: On 10/16/2007 the York County Board of Supervisors amended the York County Code, changing the vehicle registration fee due date from February 15 to June 5. This change combines the vehicle registration fee with the billing and payment of the first half Personal Property tax. This amendment is effective on 1/1/2008. Fee - $23. Telephone - (757) 890-3420. New vehicles and new residents - Vehicles must be registered and fee paid within 60 days of purchase date or relocation to the County.
License your dogs
York County Treasurer's Office - (757) 890-3420
School Administrative Offices are located at 302 Dare Road, Yorktown. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday - (757) 898-0300
High Schools, Grades 9-12
- Bruton, 185 Rochambeau Dr. - (757) 220-4050
- Grafton, 302 Grafton Dr. - (757) 898-0530
- Tabb, 4431 Big Bethel Rd. - (757) 867-7400
- York, 9300 George Washington Memorial Hwy. - (757) 898-0354
- York River Academy of Technology, 9300 George Washington Hwy. - (757) 898-0516
Middle Schools, Grades 6-8
- Grafton, 405 Grafton Dr. - (757) 898-0525
- Queens Lake, 124 West Queens Dr. - (757) 220-4080
- Tabb, 300 Yorktown Rd. - (757) 898-0320
- Yorktown, 11210 George Washington Mem. Hwy. - (757) 898-0360/0361
Elementary Schools, Grades K-5
- Bethel Manor, 1797 First St. - (757) 867-7439
- Coventry, 200 Owen Davis Blvd. - (757) 898-0402
- Dare, 300 Dare Rd. - (757) 898-0324
- Grafton Bethel, 410 Lakeside Dr. - (757) 898-0350
- Magruder, 700 Penniman Rd. - (757) 220-4067
- Mount Vernon, 310 Mount Vernon Dr. - 898-0480
- Seaford, 1105 Seaford Rd. - (757) 898-0352
- Tabb, 3711 Big Bethel Rd. - (757) 898-0372
- Waller Mill, 314 Waller Mill Rd. - (757) 220-4060
- Yorktown, 131 Siege Ln. - (757) 898-0358
Emergency School Closings - (757) 898-0300/0391, beginning at 6 a.m. or tune in to local radio and television stations.
Register to vote
The Voter Registrar's Office is a state agency. The Registrar is appointed by an Electoral Board that is appointed by a majority of the Circuit Court judges for the judicial circuit for the County. The Registrar's Office is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
To vote in York County, residents must be registered in the precinct in which they reside. Citizens who will be 18 years old by the day of the next General Election can register after January 1 of the year in which they will become 18 and vote in any election held that year. As required by state law, registration is closed 29 days before an election.
Absentee ballot applications. In person absentee voting and applications for absentee ballots to be mailed are coordinated by the Registrar's Office - (757) 890-3440.
Change your address at the Post Office
- Grafton Branch - (757) 898-5435