Can I vote absentee? Yes
- if you are a registered voter and will be out of town on election day
- if you are a student attending a school or institution of learning
- if you are working and commuting to/from home for 11 or more hours between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m. on Election Day
- if you are pregnant
- if you cannot go to the polls because of illness or disability
- if you cannot go to the polls because you are the person responsible for the care of a sick or disabled family member who is unable to leave home
- if you are confined awaiting trial
- if you are confined having been convicted of a misdemeanor
- if you are active-duty member of the Merchant Marine or the Armed Forces
- if you are the spouse or a dependent of an active-duty member of the Merchant Marine or the Armed Forces
- if you are temporarily residing outside the U.S. or are a cohabiting spouse or dependent of a person temporarily residing outside the U.S.
- if you are unable to go to the polls because of an obligation occasioned by religion
- if you have an emergency after noon on the Saturday prior to the election, call (757) 890-3440.
When and how can I apply for an absentee ballot?
- Up to twelve months before an election
- Can apply in person, by mail or FAX
- BY MAIL/FAX: Application must be received by the General Registrar by the Tuesday before the election. Please apply early to allow time to receive your ballot and return it by Election Day.
- IN PERSON: Application must be made and ballot voted by 5:00 p.m. on the Saturday before the election in the Office of the General Registrar. Ballots generally are available 45 days prior to an election. Call ahead to inquire availability of ballot (757) 890-3440.
- For information on emergency absentee voting (for certain emergency circumstances) until 2:00 P.M. the day before the election, call the Registrar's office.
How can active duty military, their dependents, and citizens residing overseas apply to vote? View description for details.
Mail your Absentee Ballot Application to:
WALTER T. LATHAM, JR.
P.O. Box 451
Yorktown, VA 23690