224 Ballard Street, P.O. Box 532
Yorktown, VA 23690
Phone: (757) 890-3883 Division EMAIL
The Division of Special Programs oversees the development of the Department’s internet and intranet sites, as well as Department publications. The Division is also responsible for providing management support for the Department, including support for short-term projects and grant initiatives, as well as human service program analysis and evaluations.
The Special Programs Division coordinates programs and acts as a resource for information and referrals regarding concerns and interests related to aging, health and disabilities. A significant number of resources exist in York County for people that have issues related to aging, health or disabilities.
Special Programs staff are responsible for:
- Working on programs to address specific needs within the areas of aging, health and disabilities services on an as-needed basis.
- Coordinating County activities to maintain compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Maintaining the Senior Connection, a referral and information directory for seniors and citizens with disabilities.
- Organizing of programs offered at the Senior Center of York, and maintaining the Senior Center's monthly newsletter, The Observer.
- Policy review of Federal and State programs and regulations. Staff monitors the actions of the State's Joint Commission on Health Care, and the Health, Welfare and Institutions Committee of the General Assembly. Staff makes recommendations on the appropriate action at the local level to address issues of concern.