Department of Community Services is made up of the following divisions:
- Children and Family Services - operates a number of programs designed to foster early childhood development and family self-sufficiency along with running the Head Start Program for York County
- Housing and Neighborhood Revitalization - handles federal and state rental subsidies (Section 8) and housing rehabilitation grants
- Juvenile Services - consists of several programs whose goal is to provide community based alternatives for youth referred by the 9th District Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court
- Parks and Recreation - offers year round recreational activities and facilities for citizens aged 4 to 104!
- Special Programs - works primarily with Senior Citizens and persons with Disabilities on Aging, Health and Disability issues
- Video Services - operates WYCG-TV and YCSD-TV
In addition to the activities of the various divisions, the Department coordinates federally funded job training programs, the Senior Center of York, and the Safety Town program. The Department is responsible for the Arts Commission, Colonial Group Home Commission, Youth Commission, Comprehensive Services Act Community Policy and Management Team, and the County government compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. The Department serves as liaison for the Library Board of Trustees; the Department of Social Services; Virginia Cooperative Extension; Behavioral Health Services; Juvenile Courts and the Virginia Department of Juvenile Justice; Peninsula Agency on Aging and has significant interaction with the Health Department, the School System, and a variety of other public service agencies and community organizations. This is a department heavily involved in grant activities that each year brings millions of dollars of state and federal monies into the County for the benefit of its citizens.