In 2000, Ronald G. Montgomery was appointed to rank of Major and to the position of Chief Deputy. The Chief Deputy is the chief operations officer of the York-Poquoson Sheriffs Office. During the absence of the Sheriff, he assumes the responsibilities of Sheriff. The Chief Deputy serves as the Sheriff’s second in command and assists him in the administration, control and operation of the Sheriff’s Office.
The Chief Deputy supervises four division commanders including: the Captains of Administration, Civil/Court Security, Investigations, and Uniform Patrol. In addition to assigned supervisory duties, the Chief Deputy performs the following functions:
- Manages the department’s complaint and internal affairs program.
- Reviews new agency policy.
- Maintains liaison between the Sheriff's Office and Public Works concerning the purchasing of and maintenance of department vehicles.
- Confers with vendors regarding purchase specifications and pricing.
- Maintains records of Sheriff’s Office equipment inventory and capital assets.
- Prepares and submits grant applications for equipment and personnel.
- Coordinates with the County Communications Manager in the selection, purchase and installation of department communications equipment.
- Coordinates with York County School Superintendent on matters involving campus security policy and School Resource Officers.