This award-winning project teaches youth skills in growing and caring for plants as well as how to account for, market, and sell a product. Youth participants receive materials to grow and propagate chrysanthemums and attend educational sessions throughout the summer that teach plant care, accounting, marketing a product, and developing a business plan.
Participants have the opportunity to sell their mums at Yorktown Market Days and other community events in the fall.
- Open to youth ages 9-18 that are residents of York County or Poquoson.
- Youth under the age of 13 must have a parent stay with them during club meetings.
- Registration fee is $30 per youth
- All lessons will be held:
- 6 - 8 p.m.
- Community Building
Charles Brown Park
1950 Old Williamsburg Road
Yorktown, VA 23690
- Lesson dates are as follows:
- May 16
- June 6
- June 20
- July 11
- July 25
- August 8
- Selling dates at the Fall Yorktown Market days will be determined at a later date.
We would like to thank the following businesses for their support of the 2016 4-H Mums Project:
- McDonald's Garden Center for donating 500 mum plugs.
- Anderson's Home and Garden Showplace for donating 500 pots and waterbreakers and for hosting a tour of their greenhouses for participants and their families.
- Ken Mathews Garden Center for hosting educational lessons for our youth participants.
- Turf and Garden for providing discounts on the purchase of potting medium.