Curbside Leaf Collection
The curbside leaf collection program generally runs from mid-November through January. Check back for the 2017-2018 schedule - we will post closer to the start of program.
Important information about bags: York County participates in a regional debagging operation at the VPPSA compost facility. The success of the debagging operation works best with certain types of clear bags. As a general rule, bags should be no thicker than 1.0 mil, and should have No drawstrings please.
Facility Leaf Collection
In addition to the curbside leaf collection program, subscribers to the garbage collection service may also bring their leaves to:
VPPSA Compost Facility
145 Goodwin Neck Road
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
View the York News Brief - Leaf Collection Video.
In order to ensure collection, bags must be at the front roadside by 7 a.m. on the Monday of your collection week. Pickup will be completed by the end of the week. If you experience a missed leaf collection pickup or have additional requests, please use the Public Works Customer Service Request or contact Waste Management at 757-890-3780.
- Residents who live on publicly maintained streets can place an unlimited number of clear bags of leaves out for collection every other week.
- Leaves are delivered to the VPPSA Compost Facility where they are debagged to be incorporated into mulch.
- Residents who live in private communities or on privately maintained streets or roads may also bring leaves out to the closest public roadway for collection.
- Bags must be at the curb by 7 a.m. on Monday of your designated collection week. Pick-up will be completed by the end of the week.
- Bags should weigh 40 pounds or less and contain only leaves. Being overweight or containing garbage, dirt, and/or pet feces will cause a bag and potentially an entire load to be rejected.
- Rejected bags that are overweight or contain unaccepted material will be tagged and left behind. In order to be collected during the next scheduled week, rejected bags will need to be lightened or contaminated debris removed.
- Schedule is subject to change due to the volume of leaves.
Leaf Collection Zones - 2017-2018 Leaf Collection Information - COMING SOON
For leaf collection purposes the County is divided into 2 zones.
The Southern Zone includes all homes south of Dare Road, including neighborhoods in Tabb, Coventry, Kiln Creek, Brandywine and Harwood Landing.
Collection weeks for the Southern Zone will be listed soon.
Northern Zone includes all homes on and North of Dare Road, including neighborhoods along Wolf Trap Road, Goodwin Neck Road, and homes in and near Marlbank, Edgehill, Queens Lake, Skimino, and Nelson Park.
Collection weeks for the Northern Zone will be listed soon.